Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Old Age Sticks

"Old age sticks up keep off signs....
and youth yanks them down again."
Ever read that poem by e.e. cummings?
I remember the first time I did - in my youth.
Reading it now is an entirely different experience.

I've been thinking lately how - over the course of my lifetime - I have passed off my brainless antics with the excuse that fit the time ~

If I forgot something when I was a kid, it was because....well...because I was a kid.
If I forgot something as a teen, it was because...someone else made me do it. I was a teen for Heaven's sake. I knew it all. It must have been someone else's fault I forgot.
If I forgot something as a young adult, it was because I was overworked. Gimme a break. There's only so much one person can do.
If I forgot something after having children, it was because I had developed Mommy Brain. It's a REAL condition, you know.
If I forgot something after I started covering the gray hair, it was because...I am a blonde. This one is my favorite. *grin*
But now....now is the time when I have begun to consider a new reason ~
You've heard of senior moments, right?
The more I consider this excuse, the less appealing it is to me. Sure. My kids are almost grown and the clerks in the grocery store don't even blink when they call me "Ma'am" - but am I really ready to wear the 'age badge'?

I don't think so.
For now, I think I shall remain a hopeless blonde (I AM still having a world of fun)!

And I'll keep myself in shape by yanking those signs down.

From the House of Hooligans ~ Have an awesome Tuesday

No comments: